How to set up BTW node (Ubuntu 16.04 + VPS)

Hello.
I'm delegate btw_first_node and I prepared this manual for you. You can use it and set BitcoinWhite delegate node on VPS (Ubuntu 16.04)

Creating of virtual private server (VPS)

In order to deploy VPS we should use vultr.com service.
At the beginning we should create new account here - vultr.com

After creating the account need to set up billing

There are several payment methods including Bitcoin. But for the first time you must use only bank card. It does not matter which currency do you use. It'll be converted to USD by you bank's exchange rate.

WARNING
: for example you paid 10$. This money wasn't spent yet and they are on your account balance now. Vultr has tarification when you pay only for time when your server exists. You can create new server or destroy existing whenever you want for free.

Now you need to create new server.

I tested several configurations of hardware and all of them were good for BTW node. But I recommend to create more powerful one. Also you can additionally buy DDoS protection.

Push Deploy new server button

I chose New York location (cuz there were not such configuration in the Europe when I did it) and take OS Ubuntu 16.04

I take DDoS protection (+ 10$/month)

Set server name

The installing takes several minutes

After the installing you can find all information for your server on server page

Now you have your own VPS.
In order to connecting to your VPS you should use - PuTTY. It's simple and free. Download link

PuTTY and node installation

Install and start PuTTY
PuTTY looks like this after installation

Fill IP and username – root в PuTTY, and save you profile

Now you should load you profile and push "Open" button.
It looks like this when you login to VPS first time.

Just push Yes button. Now you need insert your password. You can find it in the Vultr, on your server's page.

WARNING: in order to insert to PuTTY any symbols or text you shouldn't use CTRL+V. You have to copy password or command and just click in the PuTTY window by right button of your mouse.
Bear in mind, when you copy and paste the password by this way you can't see this password. It ;looks like nothing happened. But you your password already was inserted. Just push Enter to login to VPS.
It looks like this when you inserted the password:

Push Enter for login

In order to install delegate node you should just copy and paste to PuTTY all commands one by one.
It looks like this when you inserted first command:

Commands' list:

git clone https://github.com/BTWhite/BTWChain.git

cd BTWChain

sudo apt-get install curl sqlite3 ntp wget git libssl-dev openssl make gcc g++ autoconf automake python build-essential -y

sudo apt-get install libtool libtool-bin -y

curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/creationix/nvm/v0.33.2/install.sh | bash

export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm"

[ -s "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh"

[ -s "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" # This loads nvm bash_completion

nvm install --lts

npm install

nano config.json

- the last command opens configuration file. You should set your IP to the "publicIp" field. And your secret key (12 words) to the "secret" field in the "forging" section

Push CTRL-X, then – Y and Enter.

The last command is –

node index.js

it starts your node

The sync takes 3-4 hours.
If you find this manual helpful please support me by your vote for my delegate - btw_first_node
Thank you.

Hello, thanks for your tutorial, but im getting error here. can you help me? thanks

[email protected]:~/BTWChain# node index.js
log 2018-02-18 14:46:55 537 init.js:318 BTW started: 0.0.0.0:8196
events.js:183
throw er; // Unhandled 'error' event
^

Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'src/logs/debug.log'

Hello.
I'm delegate btw_first_node and I prepared this manual for you. You can use it and set BitcoinWhite delegate node on VPS (Ubuntu 16.04)

Creating of virtual private server (VPS)

In order to deploy VPS we should use vultr.com service.
At the beginning we should create new account here - vultr.com

After creating the account need to set up billing

There are several payment methods including Bitcoin. But for the first time you must use only bank card. It does not matter which currency do you use. It'll be converted to USD by you bank's exchange rate.

WARNING
: for example you paid 10$. This money wasn't spent yet and they are on your account balance now. Vultr has tarification when you pay only for time when your server exists. You can create new server or destroy existing whenever you want for free.

Now you need to create new server.

I tested several configurations of hardware and all of them were good for BTW node. But I recommend to create more powerful one. Also you can additionally buy DDoS protection.

Push Deploy new server button

I chose New York location (cuz there were not such configuration in the Europe when I did it) and take OS Ubuntu 16.04

I take DDoS protection (+ 10$/month)

Set server name

The installing takes several minutes

After the installing you can find all information for your server on server page

Now you have your own VPS.
In order to connecting to your VPS you should use - PuTTY. It's simple and free. Download link

PuTTY and node installation

Install and start PuTTY
PuTTY looks like this after installation

Fill IP and username – root в PuTTY, and save you profile

Now you should load you profile and push "Open" button.
It looks like this when you login to VPS first time.

Just push Yes button. Now you need insert your password. You can find it in the Vultr, on your server's page.

WARNING: in order to insert to PuTTY any symbols or text you shouldn't use CTRL+V. You have to copy password or command and just click in the PuTTY window by right button of your mouse.
Bear in mind, when you copy and paste the password by this way you can't see this password. It ;looks like nothing happened. But you your password already was inserted. Just push Enter to login to VPS.
It looks like this when you inserted the password:

Push Enter for login

In order to install delegate node you should just copy and paste to PuTTY all commands one by one.
It looks like this when you inserted first command:

Commands' list:

git clone https://github.com/BTWhite/BTWChain.git

cd BTWChain

sudo apt-get install curl sqlite3 ntp wget git libssl-dev openssl make gcc g++ autoconf automake python build-essential -y

sudo apt-get install libtool libtool-bin -y

curl -o- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/creationix/nvm/v0.33.2/install.sh | bash

export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm"

[ -s "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/nvm.sh"

[ -s "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" ] && \. "$NVM_DIR/bash_completion" # This loads nvm bash_completion

nvm install --lts

npm install

nano config.json

- the last command opens configuration file. You should set your IP to the "publicIp" field. And your secret key (12 words) to the "secret" field in the "forging" section

Push CTRL-X, then – Y and Enter.

The last command is –

node index.js

it starts your node

The sync takes 3-4 hours.
If you find this manual helpful please support me by your vote for my delegate - btw_first_node
Thank you.

thank you share this mate and how to stop putty, then start putty

Hey thanks for the manual and already voted for ya. Do I still get the 10% profit whatever if I dont run a node?
Does that make sense? Anyways I know I made the right choice