That’s because that contest ended prematurely

With Mikaela Shiffrin dominating the World Cup circuit this season Jahlani Tavai Jersey , it can seem like a distant memory when the American was locked in a tight battle with Lara Gut for last year’s title.

Gut had surgery and missed the rest of the season. She returned at the start of this season but had recorded just two podiums results – both second-places – before winning the final super-G before next month’s Pyeongchang Olympics on Sunday.

It was Gut’s first victory since winning the downhill in Cortina almost a year ago.

”It’s good to be back – to be back winning,” Gut said. ”In super-G I’ve always been fast. … If I ski the way I can I’m always top 10.”

In a race on a shortened course that was shaped by strong winds, overcast conditions and overnight snowfall, Gut clocked 1 minute, 14.78 seconds for a 0.14-second advantage over Johanna Schnarf of Italy.

Nicole Schmidhofer of Austria finished third, 0.27 behind.

Shiffrin missed a gate midway through her run and Italian favorite Sofia Goggia hit a gate and also did not finish.

”The whole way down I skied way too direct of a line, which is really frustrating because the problem was with my inspection and I’m not exactly sure what we can do for me to be better prepared for super-Gs,” Shiffrin said. ”One of my biggest issues right now is still switching from the timing of downhill turns to super-G turns.”

Still, Shiffrin holds a nearly insurmountable 876-point lead over Tina Weirather of Liechtenstein in the overall standings. Gut reclaimed the lead in the super-G ranks, 18 points ahead of Weirather.

After last year’s Cortina races Will Harris Jersey , Shiffrin’s lead over Gut in the overall standings was just 80 points.

Gut won the overall title two seasons ago, which helped her erase memories of the 2014 Sochi Olympics – where she cried in disappointment after taking the bronze medal in the downhill. Gut finished the Sochi race a slim 0.10 seconds behind joint gold medalists Tina Maze of Slovenia and Swiss teammate Dominique Gisin.

”I know what it means to go to the Olympics now,” Gut said. ”The first time you go to the Olympics it’s like discovering what it is and you have to tell yourself that it’s just a race. … I’m going to try to give it something even more.”

Sunday’s win was the 24th victory of Gut’s World Cup career.

Lindsey Vonn, the record-holder in Cortina with 12 wins, was slowed by a strong gust of wind and finished sixth, 0.37 back.

”I’ve never had a gust that strong,” Vonn said. ”I could barely make out the next gate and I was just hoping that I would see it at the last minute.”

Vonn started sixth and Gut was next.

”Some people obviously had it worse than others,” Vonn said.

Gut trailed Schnarf at all three checkpoints but then established her lead through the final gates.

”I didn’t have any wind, so I was fast,” Gut said.

Due to increasing wind, the race was called off after 44 of 58 skiers had started.

Thirteen skiers did not finish and there were several crashes – the worst of which involved Nadine Fest of Austria Austin Bryant Jersey , who spun around at high speed and ended up in the safety netting. She was taken down the course on a sled and was being checked for a suspected knee injury.

Laura Pirovano of Italy also crashed heavily.

Federica Brignone, the Italian who won the previous super-G, did not start due to a fever.

Brignone will be looking to defend her victory in Tuesday’s giant slalom in nearby San Vigilio di Marebbe.

More AP Olympic coverage: The Cincinnati Bengals and their coach, Marvin Lewis, don’t like major changes.

Neither does Teryl Austin, which makes him a good fit as the team’s new defensive coordinator.

”We wanted to stay within our structure,” Lewis said Thursday during Austin’s introductory news conference. ”With the personnel we have returning, we didn’t have to make drastic changes. We didn’t want the players to have to re-learn the wheel.”

Austin, 52, spent the past four seasons as Detroit’s defensive coordinator, but his future was in doubt after the Lions fired coach Jim Caldwell last week. He inherits a defense that was 18th in the NFL in total defense and produced 14 takeaways this past season. The Lions finished ninth in total defense with 32 takeaways.

”It’s more about the players than us Rashan Gary Jersey ,” said Austin, who replaces Paul Guenther. ”We wanted to keep things similar, terminology-wise. We’ll make some changes, but nothing drastic.”

Lewis said, ”He has ties to a lot of people on our staff here.”

Guenther left Cincinnati after spending 13 seasons with the Bengals, the last four as defensive coordinator, for the same job with the Oakland Raiders.

Austin, who interviewed for Detroit’s coaching vacancy last week, preferred joining a team that he felt didn’t need a lot of work.

”One thing I wanted was to go somewhere and not have to overhaul things,” he said. ”The Bengals have good personnel. We’ll try to do what they were doing, but just do it better. There’s good talent here. Every year Darnell Savage Jr. Jersey , you try to add to that talent. My job is to make sure they perform on the field.

”We’re going to try to play on (the opponent’s) side of the line of scrimmage and play without fear – physical and strong. We’re not going to sit back and let the other teams dictate what we do.”

That includes forcing turnovers, he said.

”It’s like anything you coach,” Austin said. ”You get what you emphasize.”

In 2014, the Lions became the ninth team in NFL history to finish the season allowing fewer than 70 yards rushing per game. Detroit lost Ndamukong Suh off that team and slipped defensively after that.

Austin previously was a secondary coach for the Baltimore Ravens and also has coached defensive backs for the Arizona Cardinals and Seattle Seahawks.

Lewis, who was brought back by the Bengals after a 7-9 season, has sent five assistants on to NFL head coaching jobs, but Austin said that wasn’t part of his decision-making process.

”I think the bigger selling point is the chance to work with some quality people and a quality team,” he said. ”The other stuff can take care of itself.”

Lewis added, ”Hopefully, he’ll have great success immediately and he has that opportunity.”